We’re thrilled to introduce this great new concept to your school! This year, we’re
accepting entries in grades 1 through 5.
The idea behind this event is to help educate the kids in HEALTHY EATING HABITS.
Too often we hear about obesity in kids and kids not making the right choices in terms
of their eating habits. That’s why we want kids to submit recipes Reimagining Their
Favorite School Lunch Meal.
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- Kid Friendly
- Ease of Preparation
- Healthy Attributes
- Plate Presentation
- Student Chef Presentation to Judges
Timeline of the event:
- A flyer will be sent home with the students describing the event. Included with this flyer will be a blank recipe card.
- Kids who would like to participate need to fill out the recipe card and return it to their teacher.
- Teachers will collect the recipe cards and give them to building office.
- Buildings return recipes to Child Nutrition Services at the Service Center no later than February 13, 2020.
- A distinguished panel of administrators will evaluate recipe submissions and narrow the number of finalists down to 1 child per school.
- Those finalists will be formally invited to a Culinary Competition “Cook-Off” on March 19th , 2020 tentatively scheduled for 2:00-6:00pm.
All Finalists will receive a framed plaque, recipe book of all finalists’ recipes, chef
coat, apron and hat.
The local press will be invited to take pictures of the kid’s creations and parents and teachers can view (and taste!) the final product during the reception portion of the event.
Transportation of the kids will be provided on March 19th , 2020 TO the competition
(from the student’s school). Students will need to be picked up at Marysville Pilchuck
after the event has ended.
Each group of kids will have a kitchen staff member assigned to help them to ensure
that there are no safety issues. This will ensure safe food and preparation practices
are followed and no one gets harmed.
As an added bonus, our competition is just one of 85 local competitions that Sodexo
will be orchestrating across the country in March. The winning recipe from each event
will be entered to win a national competition in April. More details will follow, but we’re
lining up some great prizes for those that are chosen to receive national recognition!
Please let me know if I can answer any questions or concerns.
Director, Child Nutrition Services
Marysville School District